2 Michigan men charged in Ellisville jewelry store heist


by Sarah Heath / News 4 | @sheath12


Posted on December 4, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Updated Wednesday, Dec 4 at 7:05 PM

(KMOV) – Two Michigan men have been charged with robbery after a Tuesday incident in Ellisville.

Authorities arrested 23-year-old Stefan Douglas and 19-year-old Treymane Kinsey, both from the Detroit area, after the two were reportedly involved in a robbery at an Ellisville jewelry store, then fled on foot after crashing their getaway vehicle in west St. Louis County on Tuesday.

According to Ellisville Police,  one of the men entered Clarkson Jewelers located at 1306 Clarkson Clayton Center in Ellisville at 10:30 a.m. and reportedly asked to see a watch. 

A salesperson removed a Rolex watch, worth $34,850, from the case and the suspect reportedly grabbed the watch and bolted to an awaiting vehicle driven by a second suspect. 

Police say a second salesperson followed the suspect as he ran from the store and attempted to force him back into the store. A struggle ensued and the salesperson tackled the suspect in the parking lot.

The fight ended when the suspect allegedly threatened to kill the clerk who quickly backed off.

Click here to see photos of the arrests 

The owner of the jewelry store followed with a handgun, reportedly firing at least six rounds toward the suspect and his awaiting getaway car. Police say neither men were hit by gunfire. 

Douglas and Kinsey then reportedly jumped in a car and drove from the scene heading west on Clayton Road. 

St. Louis County officers began pursuing them on near Route 109 and Clayton Road after seeing their vehicle weave in and out of traffic at a high-rate of speed.

The vehicle pursuit ended when the suspects' car lost control and slammed into a center median at Interstate 64 and Chesterfield Parkway near the Chesterfield Mall.

Police say the suspects fled the vehicle and ran from the crash site heading south. A citizen noticed the suspects running and gave chase, tackling one suspect to the ground. 

Click here to see video of citizen tackling the suspect

A Chesterfield Police officer joined in the foot pursuit and was able to take the second suspect into custody moments later.

One suspect was transported from the scene for medical treatment. The second suspect was not injured. 

Both are currently being held, Douglas on a $75,000 bond and Kinsey on a $50,000.