(KMOV.com) – The Belleville and Caseyville police departments are warning Ameren Illinois customers of a new scam.
Both departments posted warnings on their Facebook pages saying scam artists have been posing as Ameren Illinois representatives and demanding an immediate electric or natural gas payment or trying to obtain banking information to return a payment the customer has made to Ameren Illinois.
Richard J. Mark, president and CEO for Ameren Illinois, warns the scam is very convincing. He warns customers that if they suspect they are being scammed to call Ameren Illinois at 1-800-755-5000 for account verification.
Ameren Illinois offers the following tips to avoid being a victim of the scam:
• Verify Ameren employees, who are requesting entry to your home or business, by requesting to see their Ameren identification. If you have any questions about their identity, ask the person to wait outside and call us at 1-800-755-5000 for verification.
• Contact us if you receive a call that’s suspicious, especially if the caller demands an immediate payment for any reason and requests personal or banking information or threatens to disconnect your service. Hang up and call us at 1-800-755-5000.
• We offer several methods to pay your bill, but imposters generally provide only one option with the intent of theft.
• Never give your personal or financial information to anyone who calls, sends an email or comes to your home unannounced.
• Remember, anyone who has the numbers on a pre-paid Visa card has access to the entire amount of funds on the card.
• Never wire money or provide debit, credit, Social Security, checking or savings account numbers to someone you do not know.