MealThymes' Cranberry & Goat Cheese Crostini
This recipe is always a client favorite and has been featured at several wine pairing events
Pairs perfectly with Riesling.
1 French baguette, sliced thin on diagonal
1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
12 oz Chevre goat cheese, softened at room temperature for at least an hour
2 Tbsp heavy cream, or more for thinning the mixture
Zest of two oranges
1/2 cup finely chopped toasted pecans
1 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
freshly ground black pepper
4 Tbs fresh parsley, finely chopped
1. Toast baguette slices in oven or on grill with no oil or butter.
2. Using a Microplane zester, finely zest the two oranges.
3. Combine all ingredients (except parsley) together in a bowl. Mix with spoon. Taste and salt if desired.
4. Spread crostini with mixture or serve in a bowl and allow guests to spread it themselves.
5. Sprinkle with chopped parsley for garnish.
Use good quality imported French Chevre or a quality US brand from Vermont or California. The
microplane style zester is is key in this recipe since it is the only tool that will get the pieces of zest fine enough. If you do not have one, they are available at almost all kitchen stores, and on the MealThymes website (under the recipes tab) at: www.mealthymes.com.
The cheese mixture can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days. Do not assemble crostini in advance, as the bread can become soggy.
Servings: Makes about 20 pieces