Black Forest Cake – Traditional
Recipe by Chef Casey Shiller
St. Louis Community College-Forest Park
Yield: 1- 9” cake, 16 servings
For the Chocolate Cake:
4 ounces cherry puree
4 1/4 ounces all purpose flour
7 ounces granulated sugar
1 1/2 ounces dark cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 ounces vegetable oil
4 ounces sour cream
2 ounces whole eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Preheat the oven to 350ºF
• Grease three 9” cake pans liberally
• Combine the cherry puree, flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of an electric stand mixer.
• Whip on medium speed for 2 minutes.
• Scrape down sides of bowl and add vegetable oil and sour cream.
• Mix on medium speed for 1 additional minute.
• Scrape down the sides of bowl and add eggs and vanilla extract.
• Mix on medium speed for one minute.
• Distribute batter evenly between the three cake pans and bake until golden brown and baked through, about 20 minutes. Cool the cakes completely.
For the Whipped Cream:
1 quart heavy whipping cream
2 ounces powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• Place cream in a chilled mixing bowl of an electric stand mixer
• Add powdered sugar and vanilla
• Whip on high speed until stiff peaks are formed. Be cautious not to overwhip.
For the Kirsch syrup:
3 ounces water
3 ounces granulated sugar
1 ounce Kirchwasser, or cherry brandy
To assemble cake:
1 pound fresh bing cherries, pitted
3 ounces dark chocolate shavings
• Place one layer of cake onto a cake pedestal
• Liberally brush Kirsch syrup onto cake layer
• Using a piping bag, pipe a ring of whipped cream around the outer edge of the cake layer
• Arrange pitted cherries in a ring touching the whipped cream
• Repeat the process, working your way toward the center of the cake, creating a “bulls eye” design
• Place second layer of cake on top of cherries and whipped cream
• Repeat previous process, portioning whipped cream and cherries onto second cake layer
• Top with third layer of cake
• Completely ice cake with whipped cream
• Using chocolate shavings, press into sides of cake in decorative design
• Pipe 16 rosettes onto the top of the cake, and garnish with fresh cherries