U.K. police ask Prince Andrew for ID at Buckingham Palace

Print
Email
|

by CBS News

CBS News

Posted on September 9, 2013 at 2:41 AM

(CBS) LONDON- You might forgive Britain's royal protection unit for being a little jittery.

Two days after an intruder was discovered prowling around Buckingham Palace, police confronted Prince Andrew, the second son of Queen Elizabeth II, in the royal residence's garden and demanded he identify himself.

Police shouted at the 53-year-old prince, fifth in line to the throne, to "put your hands up and get on the ground", the Sunday Express newspaper said, citing an unnamed royal source. He had been strolling the grounds in broad daylight in the late afternoon after attending an event in London on Wednesday.

Wednesday's embarrassing mix-up followed an even more embarrassing security breach Monday, when a suspected burglar was arrested after having scaled the fence around the palace.

The incident with Andrew was first reported by Britain's Sunday Express tabloid. While London police acknowledged demanding the prince's identity, they denied the paper's assertion that Andrew was "held at gunpoint."

In a statement released Sunday, police said "no weapons were drawn."

Prince Andrew accepted an apology from the police on Sunday, according to Reuters.

In a statement, Prince Andrew said: "The police have a difficult job to do balancing security for the royal family and deterring intruders, and sometimes they get it wrong.

"I am grateful for their apology and look forward to a safe walk in the garden in the future."

© 2013 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Print
Email
|